The global packaging design competition Better with Less – Design Challenge 2022–2023, organised by Metsä Board, part of Metsä Group, invited designers around the world to create the zero-waste packaging of the future.
The competition received 124 entrants from 27 countries. The competition jury included several renowned packaging design experts who now have selected the following finalists:
- Ana Almeida, Portugal
- Project Name: 444
- Description: Reusable & recyclable cosmetic packaging
- Tomasz Stachowski, Poland
- Project Name: Art of nature
- Description: Biodegradable painting set including easel.
- Christine Gamboa, Philippines
- Project Name: Kibble Kitt – Cat Food to Cat Care Circular Packaging
- Description: Multi use cat food packaging
- Marcin Michalski, Poland
- Project name: Cardboard protecting filler; cardboard protection for consumer goods.
- Description: Cardboard protection for consumer goods
- Mine Koca, Turkey
- Project name: F’lover; minimalist flower packaging
- Description: Minimalist flower packaging
- Kitty Ching, Australia
- Project Name: Kid’s headphones packaging
- Description: Reusable headphone packaging.
- Jakub Konieczny, Poland
- Project name: Piccolo Vigneto
- Description: Wine bottle transportation & presentation packaging.
- Dawid Thiel, Poland
- Project Name: RESHAPE
- Description:Multiuse delivery package
- Giuseppe Fasano, United Kingdom
- Project Name: Tak Tuk Quattro
- Description: Replacement for plastic strapping on delivery packages
- Max Gubbins, United Kingdom
- Project Name: Totally Bananas Packaging
- Description: Absolutely no packaging
- Patrick Walby, Australia
- Project name: Zero Waste Medication Blister Pack
- Description: Paper based medication packaging
- Bianka Horváth, Hungary
- Project Name: Zöld Óvoda Sprout seed packaging project
- Description: Educational seed packaging
The competition’s chairman and the member of the jury, Ilkka Harju, Packaging Services Director at Metsä Board, summarises: “I was glad to see how the zero waste challenge inspired competition entrants to consider the package’s entire lifecycle. We received an impressive number of packaging concepts with thoughtful and creative ideas for saving resources and being functional and easy to recycle, and we even got several smart ideas for a purposeful packaging reuse.”
All the shortlisted finalists are featured on the competition website, betterwithless.org and there is an opportunity for the public to vote for their favourites. The winners will be announced on 31 January, 2023.